OK, I’ve started something and now I can’t get that song out of my head. Damn you, Julie Andrews ! Warm woollen (‘woolen’ for my US friends) mittens is something I have no need for in Melbourne. But (is it correct to start a sentence with ‘but’ ?) what joy the simple things in life can bring? I find myself getting excited over close up shots of inanimate objects lying around the house. They’re just objects, after all. Hang on…..bulbs of garlic ……I think I’ll make myself a bowl of spaghetti al aglio e olio. See recipe below….yes, scroll down to the bottom of page. That means you have to look at all the pretty pictures !!
- 500 gm. spaghetti
- 1/2 cup olive oil more or less
- a glass or two (more or less) of a good delicate, white wine; a New World semillon is a good match, as is a French Sancerre or perhaps even a New Zealand sauvignon blanc. (for drinking while you cook…don’t waste it in the dish)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, more or less
- peperoncino (red pepper flakes for you mono-linguists) not too much, not too little. This is not optional.
- 1 tsp. salt (if you’re not into it, leave it out….but please don’t whinge about the harmful effects of sodium)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- loads of fresh parsley (flat leafed of course) picked from the garden not more than 5 minutes before serving (too bad if you live in an inner city apartment or loft)
- Freshly grated parmesan (don’t be thinking you can get away with that pre-packaged stuff)